Immaculate Heart of Mary Church, Kuppepadavu
Immaculate Heart of Mary Church is situated in a small moderately populated town called Kuppepadavu located 30KM away from Mangalore city. It was established on Aug 22nd 1958 by Fr John Pinto and has a history of 53 years. The Church consists of 135 families divided into 4 wards. IHMC is the part of Bantwal ward of Mangalore Diocese.
Before the Immaculate Heart of Mary Church Kuppepadavu was established, the Catholics who resided in the regions of Muttur, Kulavoor, Kelanjar etc. went to Hospet and Ferrar church to attend Sunday mass and for other spiritual needs by travelling a distance of 7-8 miles, and most of this distance had to be covered through foot since there was no proper transportation facilities and any other kind of conveyance. When the faithful had to receive any sacrament they stayed at houses closer to the church leaving their own houses behind and this put them into lots of inconvenience.
It was established on Aug 22nd 1958 by Fr John Pinto and has a history of 53 years. Church consists of 135 families divided into 4 wards. IHMC is the part of Bantwal ward of Mangalore Diocese.
Ever since its existence the church has grown tremendously. The church not only caters to the religious needs of the parishioners, but also contributes enormously in the field of education, arts, culture and also social service to the society irrespective of caste and creed through different associations like ICYM, YCS, Catholic Sabha, Marian Sodality, Altar Servers Associations, Women's Associations, St Vincent De Paul Society etc. The community has produced several priests and religious who are serving in and out of the country including Archbishop of Bangalore, Rev Dr Bernard Moras. Even the church has its own hall which is utilized by people on different occasions.The church successfully completed its golden jubilee on August 2008